Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I'm Back...And Ready For Action

It has been 3 full months since I last posted to my blog. During that time I had a feeling of unimportance due to being “surplussed” from my job. Do you realize that is not even a word, but is thrown around as a euphemism for laid off at AT&T? Try spelling is with one “s” or two after the “u” and your spell check will underline it. When I received my surplus notification letter, I was stunned. I never expected this to happen to me. I work hard, I care about what I do, I try to be helpful and do more than what is expected of me. Although I am doing my best not to take it personally, it certainly feels very personal when it happens to you (ask one of the millions who have lost their jobs recently). Those who are close to me know all the gory details and I will not spill them here. Suffice it to say I have rounded out my resume with corporate experience and I am looking for my next dare-to-be-great situation. I want to thank everyone who has been so supportive with the e-mails, phone calls and tweets. To paraphrase some of my favorite advice, "I will not just survive, I will thrive!" and "I am not unemployed, I am a self-employed, free agent."

No comments:

Babel Fish

DISCLAIMER

Karen Montgomery is the author of Gomeric Hill. The opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.